Sunday, May 10, 2015

REVELATION

Apocalypse?

Never mind Coppola's movie, was only made for the money. Read Conrad's Heart of Darkness if you have a mind and don't need psychotropic drugs and flashy video stimulation for cognitive activity.


I mentioned Fear and Faith. I don't know about you but I sleep easy at night. I hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Hope is sweeter. God has tried me with total renal failure and Multiple Myeloma and I stood up. I accepted God's will for me and continue to walk in the light. God healed my kidneys and He helps me get along with Life.





The Book of Revelation is the final book of the New Testament corpus. The title came into usage from the first word of the book in Koine Greek: apokalupsis, meaning "unveiling" or "revelation" (the author himself not having provided a title). It is also known as the Book of the Revelation of Saint John the Divine or the Apocalypse of John, (both in reference to its author) or the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ (in reference to its opening line) or simply Revelation, (often dubbed "Revelations" in contrast to the singular in the original Koine) or the Apocalypse. The word "apocalypse" is also used for other works of a similar nature, and the genre is known as apocalyptic literature. Such literature is "marked by distinctive literary features, particularly prediction of future events and accounts of visionary experiences or journeys to heaven, often involving vivid symbolism." The Book of Revelation is the only apocalyptic document in the New Testament canon, though there are short apocalyptic passages in various places in the Gospels and the Epistles.

Revelation brings together the worlds of heaven, earth, and hell in a final confrontation between the forces of good and evil. Its characters and images are both real and symbolic, spiritual and material. Revelation's cryptic nature makes the book a source of controversy among scholars who try to interpret its meaning and its message. Nevertheless, it has not only endured, but captured the imagination of generations of Bible students, both professional and lay readers alike. The author, named John, has traditionally been identified with John the Apostle, to whom the Gospel of John is also attributed. Historical-critical scholars, however, generally conclude that the author did not also write the Gospel of John. Most scholars think that Revelation was written near the end of the 1st century.

 





I read Revelation if I want to see what's in store for me. Don't have to look at chicken entrails, burn something in a pentagram circle, see the gypsy lady, none of that hoo doo stuff. Better than Cayce or Nostradamus, it fits my spiritual orientation. If I take it literally or as allegory, take it any way I want, there is enough described that is happening or that is waiting to happen as we sit here chewing electrons.



The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse will be featured in following weeks.

No comments: