Wednesday, May 6, 2015

THE QUEEN of BATTLE

I offer some words from Col Jeff Cooper, taken from his excellent book, The Art of the Rifle:

"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys."

"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, because a citizenry armed with rifles cannot be tyrannized."


This vibes good:




I have a few in my modest collection that I regard as tools, to be kept close. I live in the Southwest, 30 miles north of the border and like Karl Malden suggests, I don't leave home without them. I do not like unpleasant social situations.




Remington 870 Police model. A crowd pleaser.









 
 
 
 
 

 Good old 30-06. The M1 Garand is my sweetheart.











































This last one a recent acquisition; the following clip may be a bit, er, overstated.







This seems out of place indoors and besides, mine is chambered in 5.56x45. Good old NATO.







 

                              

I fitted a new stock set to it, make it look respectable.











 




Alas, no stacking swivels.













She's part of my perimeter defense.
















My early warning. He is trained to go for the throat.











"Monarch of all I survey, resisting tyranny."

Yeah, I kinda like that.

Now I'm heading out to the range, work on my social skills.

No comments: